Our eyes cannot function efficiently without being adequately moistened with good quality of tears. Qualitative or quantitative loss of tears is termed as Dry Eye.
It is today’s lifestyle that has made Dry Eye a global pandemic. These include :
- Excessive use of electronic gadgets (for recreation or work)
- Living in air – conditioned environment
- Fast food
- Not using sunglasses (except for fashion)
- Riding two-wheelers without proper eye protection
- Contact lens use
- Hair Dyes
You, your children or your loved ones – anyone experiencing one or more of the below symptoms could be suffering from Dry Eye :
- Foreign body sensation
- Difficulty in opening eyes
- Chronic redness
How do I know if I have Dry Eye ?
Feeling one or more of the above mentioned symptoms for a prolonged duration of time could indicate Dry Eye. You must seek an appointment with an Eye Care Centre with advanced facilities for diagnosis & treatment for Dry Eye.
Normal Tear Film
It has 3 components :
- Water with nutrients
- Lipid (fat layer)
Dry Eye may occur due to deficiency of one or more of these layers which requires different treatment modalities. Simply using Artificial Tears (lubricating eye drops) may not be the final solution.
- Measuring the adequacy of water content of the tear film by Schirmer’s Test and many other such clinical parameters need to be evaluated.
- Almost two – thirds of patients with Dry Eye have an inadequate lipid layer and poorly functioning lipid – secreting glands (medically known as Meibomian glands)
LipiView II Ocular Surface Interferometer (FDA – approved)
- It measures the thickness of the lipid layer in your eye and maps the health of the Meibomian glands.
- Correct treatment is possible only when the exact type of Dry Eye has been determined through these tests.
LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation System (FDA – approved)
- This tool stimulates and rejuvenates the lipid secreting ‘Meibomian glands’ in patients having ‘lipid layer deficiency’ type of Dry Eye which account for almost two – thirds of the total number of patients.
Dry Eye Services At MPEH
MPEH is blessed with 2 world class machines which help in the accurate diagnosis & treatment of Dry Eye.
- LipiView II Ocular Surface Interferometer (FDA – approved)
- LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation System (FDA – approved)