OCULOPLASTY & ORBIT
Oculoplasty is the subspeciality of ophthalmology that deals with plastic & reconstructive surgery of the periorbital & facial tissues which includes the eyelids, orbit & the lacrimal system.
PTOSIS (Sleepy Eyes)
- Ptosis is the drooping of upper eyelids.
- It can present since birth or can be due to injury or ageing.
- Treatment depends on the type, degree & severity of ptosis.
- In this condition, there is blockage of the lacrimal drainage system, causing watering, discharge & sometimes swelling over the lacrimal sac area.
- Dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) can almost completely cure this condition.
- Complete healing generally occurs in weeks & scar mark disappears with time.
THYROID EYE DISEASE
- It is an autoimmune inflammatory disorder that affects the tissues of the orbit i.e. eyelids, eye muscles & other soft tissues around the eyes.
- Surgical & non – surgical treatments exist to manage the complications of this condition.
ENTROPION & ECTROPION
- These conditions are due to malpositions of the eyelids i.e. the eyelids are turned inwards or outwards.
- Treatment depends upon the severity & cause.
- Tumors (benign or malignant) can lead to bulging of eyes.
- Orbitotomy surgery is generally required in many cases.