- Eye trauma occurs in a variety of settings. Workplace and household activities, road traffic accidents, violence, sports and leisure, and warfare constitute the common settings.
- Common traumatic eye injuries occur through blunt or sharp objects or chemical burns.
- Injury may be to the eyeball, surrounding soft tissues (including muscles, nerves and tendons), and / or bones of the eye socket.
RISK OF COMPLICATIONS
- Multiple complications are known to occur following eye injury. The risk of complications is high with penetrating injuries and severe blunt trauma.
- Symptoms vary depending on the type of injury.
- Treatment varies based on the extent, severity and type of injury.